Aller au contenu

Photo

Improve your english with series ! But which one ?

• Please log in to reply
7 réponses sur ce sujet

#1 Rainbow123

Rainbow123

JarJar

• Members
  • 2 Messages :

Posté 14 July 2017 - 15:41 PM

Hello all,

I'm French people who watch a lot of serie.

One year ago I registred me on Netflix to easily have much series with the possibility to watch them in english.

But I don't know if I watch the good series to improve my english,

A lot of website indicate the "10 best series to improve your english" but I would like your advice and you suggestion !

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Sorry for my english ^^',

#2 JEF Byos

JEF Byos

Relis attentivement

• Members
  • 20994 Messages :
  • Profil:Homme

Posté 14 July 2017 - 20:35 PM

I tend to think that each TV show will be interresting, as you'll learn each time a different semantic field. Depending where the series takes place, and when, who are the people involved and the narrative... or simply, which public the show is written for!

Star trek will allow you to learn a lot of technical terms (along with tons of techno babble you won't need elsewhere, until some nerd Trekkie scientists name their breakthrough from it)... Historical shows like The Tudors (or more recently The crown) have a more formal sentences (though accessible), and cop show like the shield, obviously, will be interresting to hear about police things as about different tribe stuff (that's true for prison flicks, as well). But I think - probably falsely - that the best thing one could do to improve his skills in a foreign language is... humor. You probably won't learn that much vocabulary, but you'll get much from rhythm, speed, sentences, tropes and culture. People around the world don't necessarily laugh to the same things simply because they were not raised the same way, with the same cultural references, and humor is often one of the thing the more difficult to translate. Try to watch a comic show you know well overdubbed, and you'll probably discover it again. It's a good thing to do with all genre, as well.

If you're already there, try to forget the French subtitles and go for the English ones. That way, you won't be perturbed by the differences between the two, you'll concentrate on watching and hearing. You can read when there is a word you don't recognise, or simply one that don't know.
Image IPB

#3 NukemaN

NukemaN

Faut que j'aille dormir

• Sous surveillance
  • 16639 Messages :

Posté 14 July 2017 - 20:47 PM

Any post begins in dark room and, on a screen, by a single beam of light, a world is projected before us.

This does not. It begins within the eye. We zoom out of a black coffin. Be aware, the light is a lie. Some bot is dying, we see his eye wide open, like a gateway. Be aware. A single pearl falls into a cave, a drugged kid did too. He is so high he's elevated in that light. Be aware, the light is a lie.

Be aware. :sad:

#4 Diane

Diane

Marquise des anges

• Members
  • 24203 Messages :
  • Profil:Femme

Posté 14 July 2017 - 20:53 PM

На каком языке они говорят?

1538739530-013731464545441177-2.jpg

#5 NukemaN

NukemaN

Faut que j'aille dormir

• Sous surveillance
  • 16639 Messages :

Posté 14 July 2017 - 20:54 PM

:sad:

#6 Rod

Rod

Faut que je la ferme

• Sous surveillance
  • 28832 Messages :

Posté 14 July 2017 - 20:57 PM

:mrgreen: 

(C'était le bon temps  :sad: )

SP2PHhn.gif

#7 NukemaN

NukemaN

Faut que j'aille dormir

• Sous surveillance
  • 16639 Messages :

Posté 14 July 2017 - 21:01 PM

Il faudra du temps qu'il faudra, mais à la fin, il peut-être très très mal. (!)

#8 Rainbow123

Rainbow123

JarJar

• Members
  • 2 Messages :

Posté 21 July 2017 - 18:55 PM

I tend to think that each TV show will be interresting, as you'll learn each time a different semantic field. Depending where the series takes place, and when, who are the people involved and the narrative... or simply, which public the show is written for!

Star trek will allow you to learn a lot of technical terms (along with tons of techno babble you won't need elsewhere, until some nerd Trekkie scientists name their breakthrough from it)... Historical shows like The Tudors (or more recently The crown) have a more formal sentences (though accessible), and cop show like the shield, obviously, will be interresting to hear about police things as about different tribe stuff (that's true for prison flicks, as well). But I think - probably falsely - that the best thing one could do to improve his skills in a foreign language is... humor. You probably won't learn that much vocabulary, but you'll get much from rhythm, speed, sentences, tropes and culture. People around the world don't necessarily laugh to the same things simply because they were not raised the same way, with the same cultural references, and humor is often one of the thing the more difficult to translate. Try to watch a comic show you know well overdubbed, and you'll probably discover it again. It's a good thing to do with all genre, as well.

If you're already there, try to forget the French subtitles and go for the English ones. That way, you won't be perturbed by the differences between the two, you'll concentrate on watching and hearing. You can read when there is a word you don't recognise, or simply one that don't know.

Thank you very much for your advices/comments !!!

Yes, actually I watch different series/film to have more vocabulary but I didn't find a good serie for each category/field.

Politic: Orange is a new black

Marketing: Mad men

Travel: ?

Economic : ?

Technology: Big bang theory

Do you have suggestion of series for the travel and economic field ?

Otherwise, I will test this weekend a comic show,

Thank you !

1 utilisateur(s) en train de lire ce sujet

0 membre(s), 1 invité(s), 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s)